Pages

Snowball effect /-/Quinoa flake chocolate caramel chunkies





We are now entering a time of unrest. The seasons are in between. We are not too sure whether to pack away over winter warmers and bring out the spring time skirts; or remain in under the blankets justifying eating a block of chocolate as “insulation” against the cold.



Either way you can say this the correct metaphor for my life right now. Nothing is stable and the health woes of my family are varying from the extreme to minor. Yep everyone around me right now has a body ache. Whether it be my sister’s Pain for carrying a new life or my face which has turned a sickly shade of yellow thanks to tooth extraction; life health problems are snowballing even though Australia’s winter is over.





It pains me when I see my family being so ill. The worst part of it is that I do not feel 100%, so I can not help them as much as I would like to. Damn low resistance to pain killers. I really do not like when my parents have to work hard when they are feeling ill.




Three reasons


One: They are my parents, I am 21 but yet I am still taken care of like a baby. I should be looking after them. not the other way around

Two: When my parents are ill, they do not recover as quickly as I can. A combination of age and poor childhood nutrition they experience a lot more health problems than most.

Lastly; even when they are better I see that do not go as fast as they used to. The complex and haunting reminder that one day they might not be here with me.



Also when these problems prevent them from doing something they really enjoy. This father’s day past (Australia calendar here); my family planned to go to a bar and grill as a celebration thing for the upcoming birthday’s and father’s day. Also wanted him and my mum to go to dinner (or in my dad’s case his forever love of Yum-cha) on me as my father’s day gift.



In reality; we spent the night at home eating potato croquettes and waffles. Yep, even a salad was too much work (and work for my mouth, no chewing for two weeks). He said he did not mind but I think he was in too much pain from his tooth problems to care.



Well with a new season drawing on use, I can only hope that the unfortunate events of the end of winter do not carry themselves into spring and summer.

Today I am sharing with you my new love for oat meal cookies and biscuits. As you can see from the pancake post, I need them in everything! The difference? Discovering flaked Quinoa and the revolutionary idea of processing the flakes before making them into cookies.




I love fox’s chunkie chocolate biscuits and I have been trying to find recipe similar to those insanely chocolaty chunk biscuits. They are not are cookie for milk, which needs to be thin and chewy. They are biscuit for tea and coffee, this means big air pockets, crisp texture to soak up your tea or coffee before you take that first bite. These are heavy on the chocolate caramel chips, so you will never be disappointed about flavour. Also the quinoa texture and use of raw sugar in creaming does make a difference to overall body of the biscuit.

So recap Cookies equal milk; Biscuit equal tea or coffee. Simple

Now for all you guys who think Crunchy thick cookies are a no go. Please try one in a hot drink. You thank me for it later.




Quinoa flake chocolate caramel chunkies

Adapted from Bakers Royal, recipe for neiman-marcus-chocolate-chip-cookie




400g quinoa flakes

480g flour

10g baking soda

5g baking powder

250g butter

200g raw sugar

220g packed brown sugar

300g caramel chips

300g chocolate coated hard caramels

4 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla essence

1 teaspoon salt



Directions:

PREPARATION

Heat oven to 180C. Line bake sheet with parchment paper.

Place Flakes in a food process and process until coarsely cut. Add in flour and pulse until blended. Add baking soda and baking powder and pulse until well blended. Set aside. Do this for 5 minutes at least .

Cream butter, raw sugar and brown sugar in stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. This will take about 7 minutes.

Add in eggs one at time beating until just combined after each addition. Add in vanilla and salt and beat until combined.

Turn mixer speed down to low and add in dry flour and oatmeal mixture. Mix until combined. Add in caramel pieces and chips and mix until combined.

Using a cookies scoop drop inch balls onto parchment lined bake sheets. Alternately roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on parchment lined bake sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from bake sheet let cool on a wire rack.

23 comments:

  1. Quinoa and chocolate...I love the combo. These cookies look divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are perfect balance of good for you and excellent (chocolate) for you ;)

      Delete
  2. I totally know how it is. With the weather changing and everything, everyone seems to be getting sick! Hope you and your family feel well soon! These cookies look like they could work miracles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for get well wishes Sophie. It means at lot me

      Delete
  3. REALLY want to try using quinoa flakes! these cookies look so comforting and delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious! I never though I be a girl who would PREFER Grains in her cookies but they are that good. Thanks for commenting Aimee!

      Delete
  4. Hi,sorry my ignorance on the quinoa flakes. I have never seen them. What if I cannot find them? Will quinoa work? and would it be cooked or raw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do have Quinoa flakes,the next option will be quinoa flour. however the texture of flour is finer thus will change the texture. Any flaked whole grain may work too.
      I hope this helps Maria

      Delete
  5. I hope you and your family get well soonest! These cookies look like they could cure just about anything -- and right now for me, that would be a very hungry stomach. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you for get well wishes Stephanie. We need all the help we can get!
      They may not be able to cure my illness but they sure can cure your hungry tummy :)

      Delete
  6. I hope you all start feeling better soon! That always sucks!

    In the meantime, I'm super obsessed with the idea of quinoa in cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure with all these get well message I will be better soon.

      Quinoa only hit Australia a few mouths back, so right now I embracing the food trend. Anything to make cookie more delicious.

      Delete
  7. I have no idea where to find quinoa flakes, but I would love to get my hands on some so I can try out this recipe! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get them from any health store. I live in Australia, and even I can track them down (we have nothing here). In the USA you may find it those big whole food store.

      I really hope you get your hand on some so you can try!

      Delete
  8. I have yet to bake with quinoa but your cookies have convinced me that it's an experiment worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laura you are missing out! Qunioa is great grain and this make sure it doe not taste too unfamiliar. So great introduction recipe to grains

      Delete
  9. I have used quinoa in salads, it looks like little tiny round seeds but are flakes something different? I would love to make these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flakes are push or flatten grain. So no they not round tiny ball but I am sure you can use any flaked grain like the original recipe (which uses rolled oats. You should find them in health store.
      I hope you find them, quinoa flakes are so underrated

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I will make them with oats for now but will certainly track down the quinoa flakes!

      Delete
  10. Ahh I hope you and your fam get fully healthy soon! Good thing they have you to make these super healthy cookies for them right? ;) I love how you described these biscuits as the perfect accompaniment to a hot drink--nice crunchy air pockets are EXACTLY what I look for when I want to drink tea with a cookie. Although cakey would do in a pinch. I want to give these a go with quinoa flour (what I have, I haven't seen flakes in the grocery store) and I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flour will be fine and I am sure it work out fine. Tell me all about it! Biscuits and cookies are not the same.
      I hope it turns out fine Erika

      Delete
  11. this recipes looks delicious love all the ingredients complete healthy reacioe you sharing with us here..thanks for tthis..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them when you cook them for your friends and family. They really speak to both healthy and not so healthy crowds :)
      thanks for visiting love!

      Delete