Pages

Mini Coconut cream buns evoking comfort for a weary family.




When do you think the new year starts? On the 1st of January 2013? When the Christmas decoration come down? Or when you finally get noticed at the work place for a embarrassing new years party stunt. For me the New Year has started right now because most if not all Australians have all returned to work or school. My family members are easing back into it, but after 2 months of holidays; they are really feeling the stain.



Also the ads for back the school is an especially hard-hitting reminder that the holidays have ended because it signifies that I need to go back in about a month. Yes, a month is a long time but I still feel a hint of panic that everyone experience when started a brand new schooling year. It also does not help that this is my final year in my health science course, leading me to choose between graduating and go after my baking dream or continuing to study an honors degree. OH the choices>_<are making my head spin....

In short, right now I need bread. Soft, pillowy and lightly sweetened.




These coconut buns are a cross between the Hong kong/ Chinese style bakery cream bun and cocktail or coconut bun. Simple sweet condense milk buns rolled in coconut and baked, but why stop there? After, they are filled with a sweeten desiccated coconut custard and topped with a coconut butter cream. Yep dessert once again is undercover as a breakfast treat, the best kind of bread in my opinion.



Condense milk, coconut and bread all things, which bring me comfort. Do not judge, just eat it and feel the comfort.

Mini coconut cream bun

Makes 24

Bread buns

450g Bread flour

50g Shredded coconut

50g caster sugar

10g yeast

7g salt

40g condense milk

150g milk

90g pouring cream

1 egg

50g butter, soften

Desiccated coconut for rolling


Coconut filling

90g desiccated coconut

70g butter

10g skim milk powder

1g salt

40g icing sugar

In a large bowl, Cream butter milk, powder and icing sugar for 3 minutes. (only lightly fluffy)

Add the salt , mix again until combined.

Fold in coconut nut.

Coconut butter cream

100g butter

100g icing sugar

1tsp coconut extract

20g custard powder

1-2tsp milk

In a large bowl, Cream butter milk and icing sugar for 7 minutes

Add extract, beat until fluffy.

Slowly add custard powder and milk to the bowl. Beat until it returns to the correct texture (light , slightly fluffed and pale yellow)

Combine all bread ingredients in a bowl BUT the butter, and knead until it forms a rough ball.

Transfer to table and knead in butter. Continue to knead until it reaches the high gluten stage (window pane test).

Allow to rest in a covered buttered bowl for 1-2 hours or until doubled.

Prepare two baking trays with grease proof paper

Make coconut filling and butter cream now. Set aside for later

Punch down dough and divide in to 24 rounds. Shape as rolls or round buns and set on trays

Cover in clong wrap and rest for 1 hour. Pre heat oven to 180c.

In a shallow plate spread coconut out. One ball at a time dip in to the coconut and return to tray. Repeat withal balls

Bake for 20 minutes until the coconut is lightly toasted and the bun is a deep brown. Once cooked remove to cooling tray.


Assembly
Cut each bun down the middle and slightly open the cut.

Push in some of the coconut filling in the cut.

After pipe the butter cream on top of the filling in a wave like pattern.

After all buns are done, fridge for 1 hour.

You can eat it now or store in an airtight box in the fridge for 4 days







9 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to find this recipe. I adored these kind of cream buns when we visited Hong Kong and I've been wanting to try making my own ever since. They look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lori- I swear they are easier than most breads and I honestly love sweet bread more than cake Thanks you are commenting! I love your blog, your fake free recipes make my mouth water for veggies

    @dina- Thank you, making them at home is so much cheaper than buying and so much more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I really need some of these buns now! I miss Hong Kong style baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for commenting Lokness. I have never been to Hong kong, so I have to try and recreate it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I adore these buns sara. Easy and pretty, you can not beat that

      Delete
  6. It looks really GOOD! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, they are one of my most requested breads by my family

    ReplyDelete