Pages

Honey soy roasted chickpeas embody the virtue of being versatile.




The word versatile, coming from the Latin word “Versatilis”, meaning to turning easily. In this day and age of uncertainty, I believe is equal to the virtue of patience.
Unfortunately, I do not process these qualities; I can only imagine the convenience of being able to blend into any situation, alter your behaviour in order to make new social networks or even being able to make a dish from the left over scraps in an empty fridge. I am not well versed in being versatile socially, but in baking I love to try and come up with new things from the left over or almost expired goods in my pantry( This happens quite a lot, see hoarding and forgetfulness).



The versatility of lentils and pulses never ceases to amaze me. When I first started cooking these foodstuffs, I was small fish in big pond. I only used them for burgers or meat alternative in curry or soup but once I researched more the world of vegan and vegetarian cooking, a new door opened for me. The number of uses in cakes, bread, granola, snack bars and even sauces embody the meaning of versatility. The research in to the different lifestyles has improved my versatility in kitchen, and I am forever grateful to the inventors of these dishes.

A national Chinese favourite has to be the combination of honey and soy. The intense saltiness of light soy against the mellow sweetness of honey is too perfect; it must be a genius who created it. I am taking the humble chickpea and giving an Asian flavour, honey roasted chickpeas are just as additive as their Chicken wing counterpart (only easier to eat and more convenient). Also these things are always in pantry. My kitchen often has numerous bottles of soy sauce and honey stashed in the corners.



Crunchy, sweet and salty nibbles are great as party snacks, or as an emergency craving killer for 3pm. This a must try flavour for chickpeas.

Honey soy roasted chickpeas
Adapted from Pickles and honey, and pastry affair.

100g dried Chickpeas, cooked and cooled.

100ml light soy sauce

1Tbsp Olive Oil

1 tsp sesame oil

1 Tbsp honey

2g. Sea Salt

0.5g. Black Pepper

1. Place cooled chickpeas in soy sauce.

2. Cover the chickpeas with plastic wrap and place them in the fridge for 24hours.

3. Once the chickpeas have soaked in the soy sauce, pre-heat your oven to 190c.

4. Line a baking sheet with grease proof paper.

5. Drain the chickpeas from marinade, reserve one tablespoon of soy sauce.

6. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper to the chickpeas and stir until the chickpeas are evenly coated.

7. Transfer the chickpeas to the prepared baking sheet and spread them into an even layer.

8. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes.

9. Combine soy and honey in a small sauce pan and place on a low flame. Reduce slightly for 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl

10. Once fully baked chickpeas are crunchy, place in the bowl with soy honey reduction. Toss.

11. Return to the oven, TURNED OFF and leave to dry.



1 comment: